Stanton Fishing club can offer “canal fishing”, we have a stretch of the old “disused” Nutbrook Canal. Split into two sections, the top section and the bottom section, defined by the road bridge in the middle.
Nutbrook Canal History
The canal was originally built in 1796 to serve the collieries at Shipley and West Hallam until fierce competition by the railways and serious subsidence forced huge sections of the canal to close in 1895.
Read more about the history on Wikipedia.
Both sections of the Nutbrook canal have a wide variety of fish, offering diversity and a challenge to anglers of all ages and abilities.
The middle part of the canal, below the water fall, is called Stock Pond. This part of the canal was stocked in 2015 with 400lb of silvers
- Tench to 6lb
- Pike to 18lb
- Carp to 20lb
- Ide / Orfe to 5lb
- Bream to 6lb
- Chub to 3lb
Images Of The Nutbrook Canal